More to come
Type your paragraph here.
What do I have to teach?
- English (Language Arts) - this includes but not limited to spelling, grammar and reading
- Social Studies (History)
Beginning in the 7th grade, you must also include Literature and Composition.
What am I required to keep?
The Portfolio and reports
The parent is required by law to keep the following information in their home and must be able to present it if there is ever a need.
- A portfolio - Some families elect to keep all the paper work, etc in a box for the year. We recommend purchasing a three ring binder with divider tabs. Each divider tab should be labeled for each subject taught. At the beginning, middle and end of the year, keep samples of the work or tests that your student has completed.
- You are to include a calendar which indicates the days in which you were in school. These days must equal up to 180 days in a calendar year.
- A mid year report of the grades that your child has received and an end of the year report. (Report cards)
- Keep your certificate of acceptance to the association in this binder for the year.
- Have accessible your proof of a High School Diploma, GED or higher education.
So I have to use books?
I often recommend for the first time homeschooling parent to use textbooks with teachers manuals. This provides a sense of structure for the parent. After the initial year, the parent may choose to move away from traditional textbooks into a different style of teaching. For example, Classical, Eclectic, Lapbooking, Online and more. Do what ever makes you the most comfortable.